Please make sure to read the following User Guide for details on how to register and attend the virtual event.
Program at a glance
Note: All times are CEST.
DCOSS 2021 Program (Main Event)
Wednesday, July 14
11:15 – 11:30: Opening
11:30 – 13:00: Networking (Chair: Enzo Mingozzi)
- Leveraging Cross-Technology Broadcast Communication to build Gateway-Free Smart Homes
Hannah Brunner, Rainer Hofmann and Markus Schuss (Graz University of Technology, Austria); Jakob Link (Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany); Matthias Hollick (Technische Universität Darmstadt & Secure Mobile Networking Lab, Germany); Carlo Alberto Boano and Kay Römer (Graz University of Technology, Austria)
- Opportunities and limitations of multi-instance RPL
Jeremy Dubrulle and Bruno Quoitin (University of Mons, Belgium); Antoine Gallais (Polytechnic University Hauts-de-France, France)
- Accelerating 6TiSCH Network Formation
Yasuyuki Tanaka (Toshiba & Keio University, Japan); Pascale Minet and Thomas Watteyne (Inria, France); Fumio Teraoka (Keio University, Japan)
14:00 – 15:15: Keynote Talk (Chair: Stefano Basagni): “Sensor Networks – Are we any better off after 20+ years of research?” Prof. Julie McCann (Imperial College London, UK)
15:30 – 17:00: Machine Intelligence and Data Analysis (Chair: Yong Pei)
- CryptoGram: Fast Private Calculations of Histograms over Multiple Users’ Inputs
Ryan Karl, Jonathan Takeshita, Alamin Mohammed, Aaron D Striegel and Taeho Jung (University of notre Dame, USA)
- SmartOn: Just-in-Time Active Event Detection on Energy Harvesting Systems
Yubo Luo and Shahriar Nirjon (University of north Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA)
- Semi-Supervised Contrastive Learning for Human Activity Recognition
Dongxin Liu (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA); Tarek Abdelzaher (University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, USA)
17:15 – 18:30: Posters (Chair: Thomas Lagkas)
- Batterfly: Battery-Free Daily Living Activity Recognition System through Distributed Execution over Energy Harvesting Analog PIR Sensors
Sopicha Stirapongsasuti, Shinya Misaki, Tomokazu Matsui, Hirohiko Suwa and Keiichi Yasumoto (Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Japan)
- Impact of Connectivity Degradation on Networked Robotic Swarm Cooperation
Razanne Abu-Aisheh (Nokia Bell Labs, Inria, France); Myriana Rifai (Nokia Bell Labs, France); Francesco Bronzino (Université Savoie Mont Blanc, France); Thomas Watteyne (Inria, France)
- Towards Context Aware Adaptive Deployment in ML Applications Using State Machines
Koustabh Dolui (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium); Sam Michiels and Hans Hallez (KU Leuven, Belgium); Dietwig Lowet (Philips Research, Eindhoven, The Netherlands); Danny Hughes (KU Leuven, Belgium)
- Resource-Constrained Target Classification on Distant Aerial Targets
Nicholas A. Speranza, Christopher J. Rave and Yong Pei (Wright State University, USA)
- An IoT-Based System for Autonomous, Continuous, Real-Time Patient Monitoring and Its Application to Pressure Injury Management
Sam Mansfield, Eric Vin, Katia Obraczka (University of California Santa Cruz, USA)
- WiDeo: One Shot Domain Adaptation for Cross-Environment WiFi-Based Activity Classification Through Rf-Visual Joint Embedding
Md Tamzeed Islam and Shahriar Nirjon (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA)
- Towards On-demand Gas Sensing
Markus-Philipp Gherman (Institute of Technical Informatics, Graz University of Technology, Austria), Yun Cheng (Computer Engineering and Networks Lab, ETH Zurich, Switzerland), Andres Gomez (Interaction and Communication-based Systems, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland), Olga Saukh (Complexity Science Hub Vienna, Austria)
Thursday, July 15
9:00 – 11:00: Applications (Chair: Marios Angelopoulos)
- Recognizing Multiple Co-evolving Activities From Multi-source Videos
Lan Zhang, Mu Yuan, Daren Zheng and Xiang-Yang Li (University of Science and Technology of China, China)
- ATPP: A Mobile App Prediction System Based on Deep Marked Temporal Point Processes
Kang Yang (University of California, Merced, USA); Xi Zhao and Jianhua Zou (Xi’an Jiaotong University, China); Wan Du (University of California, Merced, USA)
- Segregating Keys from noncense: Timely Exfil of Ephemeral Keys from Embedded Systems
Heini Bergsson Debes (Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark); Thanassis Giannetsos (Ubitech Ltd., Greece)
- A Game Theoretical-based Competitive Incentive Mobile Caching in Internet of Vehicles
Ahmed Alioua (Mohamed Seddik Benyahia University, Algeria); Sara Bounib (University of Jijel Mohamed Seddik Benyahia, Algeria); Soumia Bounaira and Manel Khelifi (University of Jijel – Mohamed Seddik Benyahia, Algeria)
11:30 – 13:00: Systems (Chair: Vasos Vassiliou)
- A run in the wind: favorable winds make the difference in drone delivery
Lorenzo Palazzetti (University of Florence, Italy); Cristina M. Pinotti (University of Perugia, Italy); Giulio Rigoni (University of Florence, Italy)
- EFIS – Ecological Fuel-consumption Intelligent System
Matheus F Sanches (UNICAMP & Institute of Computing, Brazil); Maria Vitória R. Oliveira (Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil); Oscar Ciceri (State University of Campinas, Brazil); Lucas Z Ladeira (Campinas State University – Unicamp, Brazil); Islene Calciolari Garcia (Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil); Nelson L. S. da Fonseca (State University of Campinas, Brazil); Leandro Aparecido Villas (UNICAMP, Brazil)
- ReFrAEN: a Reconfigurable Vibration Analysis Framework for Constrained Sensor FALSOdes
Ashok Samraj Thangarajan, Fan Yang, Wouter Joosen and Danny Hughes (KU Leuven, Belgium)
14:00 – 15:15: Keynote Talk (Chair: Enzo Mingozzi): “Toward Autonomous and Programmable Wireless Drone Networks” Prof. Tommaso Melodia (Northeastern University, USA)
15:30 – 17:00: Social and distributed sensing (Chair: Eirini Eleni Tsiropoulou)
- HeteroSAS: A Heterogeneous Resource Management Framework for “All-in-the-Air” Social Airborne Sensing in Disaster Response
Md Tahmid Rashid, Daniel Zhang and Dong Wang (University of notre Dame, USA)
- FakeSens: A Social Sensing Approach to COVID-19 Misinformation Detection on Social Media
Ziyi Kou, Lanyu Shang, Yang Zhang, Christina Youn and Dong Wang (University of notre Dame, USA)
- Asynchronous Gossip in Smartphone Peer-to-Peer Networks
Calvin Newport and Alex Weaver (Georgetown University, USA); Chaodong Zheng (Nanjing University, China)
17:00 – 17:15: Closing
Wednesday, July 14 – UrbCom (Held in parallel with Main Event)
12.15-13.55 Session I: Urban Data Modeling and Mining (Chair: Matheus Ferraroni – Unicamp, Brazil)
- Transferable Models to Understand the Impact of Lockdown Measures on Local Air Quality
Johanna Einsiedler, Yun Cheng, Franz Papst and Olga Saukh.
- A Workflow to Detect Traffic Events Using Multiple Algorithms and Data Sources.
Alexandra Pereira, Thais Silva, Fabrício Silva, Luiz Correia and Antonio Loureiro.
- A Complementary Sensing Platform for a holistic approach to Allergic Rhinitis monitoring.
Pantelis Tzamalis, Andreas Bardoutsos, Sotiris Nikoletseas, Giorgos Matzarapis and Paul G. Spirakis.
- Performance Evaluation of Route Suggestion Approaches for Primary Waste Collection.
Maria Vitória Rodrigues Oliveira and Islene C Garcia.
15.20-17:00 Session II: Smart Cities and Intelligent Transportation System (Chair: Torsten Braun – University of Bern, Switzerland)
- A Novel Short-term Post-accident Traffic Prediction Model.
Farimasadat Miri, Alireza A. Namanloo, Richard Pazzi and Miguel Vargas Martin.
- A Bat Bio-inspired Mechanism for Resource Allocation in Vehicular Clouds.
Matheus Quessada, Douglas Lieira, Rickson Pereira, Robson De Grande and Rodolfo Meneguette.
- Traffic Management of Vehicles based on Urban Mobility and Network Resources Availability.
Matheus Araújo, Matheus Silveira and Rafael Lopes.
- Fog-oriented hierarchical resource allocation policy in vehicular clouds.
Rickson S Pereira, Thiago Gomides, Matheus S Quessada, Douglas D Lieira, Rodolfo Meneguette, Daniel L Guidoni, Luis Hideo V Nakamura and Robson de Grande.
17.10-18.30 Session III: Infrastructure and Communication (Chair: Roberto Rigolin F. Lopes – Fraunhofer FKIE, Germany)
- Towards the Future of Edge Computing in the Sky: Outlook and Future Directions.
Lucas Pacheco, Helder Oliveira, Denis Rosario, Zhongliang Zhao, Eduardo Cerqueira, and Torsten Braun.
- Scalable Channels Allocation in Smart Environments Considering Cross-Interference.
Francisco A A Rocha, Eduardo E Mosca, Gabriel da Silva and Rafael Lopes Gomes.
- An Intelligent Mechanism to Detect Cyberattacks of Mirai Botnet in IoT Networks.
Antonia R S A Cruz, Rafael L Gomes and Marcial P Fernandez.
Thursday, July 15 – IoTI4 (Held in parallel with Main Event)
9.00 – 11.00 (IoT Applications)
- Reactive Programming Extensions for Time-Sensitive IoT Applications
Stefanos Peros and Danny Hughes
- A Review of Industry 4.0 on National Level and A Concept of Industry 4.0 Stages based on Technical Level
Jiaqi Weng, Fuyin Wei, Arun Jaiswal and Bernd Noche
- Ermis: a middleware for bridging data collection and data processing in IoT streaming applications
Stefanos Peros, Wouter Joosen and Danny Hughes
- Precision Agriculture Investment Return Calculation Tool
Konstantinos Kiropoulos, Stamatia Bibi, Fotini Vakouftsi and Vassilis Pantzios
11.30 – 13.00 (IoT Networking)
- Large Scale Global Optimization Algorithms for IoT Networks: A Comparative Study
Sotirios Goudos, Achilles Boursianis, Mohamed Ali Wagdy, Shaohua Wan, Panagiotis Sarigiannidis, George Karagiannidis and Ponnuthurai Suganthan
- A Reference Implementation for RPL Attacks Using Contiki-NG and COOJA
Faya Algahtani, Theo Tryfonas and George Oikonomou
- Energy Efficient Mechanism for Reusing Mobile Nodes in WSN and IoT Networks
Natalie Temene, Charalampos Sergiou, Christiana Ioannou, Chryssis Georgiou and Vasos Vassiliou
15.30 – 17.00 CEST (Image Processing in IoT)
- Gamified First Responder Training Solution in Virtual Reality
Oceane Peretti, Yannis Spyridis, Achilleas Sesis and Georgios Efstathopoulos
- Synthetic Traffic Signs Dataset for Traffic Sign Detection & Recognition In Distributed Smart Systems
Ilias Siniosoglou, Yannis Spyridis, Anish Khadka, Georgios Efstathopoulos, Thomas Lagkas and Panagiotis Sarigiannidis
- Similarity Model using Gradient Images to Compare Human and AI Agents
Gordon Johnson, Vasileios Argyriou and Christos Politis
Friday, July 16 – Morning: 09:00 – 15:00
WiDroIT (Wireless Sensors & Drones in IoT)
9:00 – 9:15 Opening
9:15 – 10:00 Keynote: “Using L-Band Satellite Communication for LALE type UAV Command and Control”, Gokhan Celik, CEO of A-techSYN Ltd.
10:00 – 10:30 Coffee break
10:30 – 12:00 First session: “Path Planning and Routing”
- 10:30 – 11:00 “Travel Path Planning for UAV as a Data Collector for a Sparse WSN”
Pejman Karegar and Adnan Al-Anbuky
- 11:00 – 11:30 “Trajectory-based Traveling Salesman Problem for Multirotor UAVs”
Fabian Meyer and Katharina Glock
- 11:30 – 12:00 “Routing Drones Being Aware of Wind Conditions: a Case Study” Lorenzo Palazzetti
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch break
13:00 – 15:00 Second session: “Intelligent Systems”
- 13:00 – 13:30 “Towards Secure Wireless Mesh Networks for UAV Swarm Connectivity: Current Threats, Research, and Opportunities”
Martin Andreoni Lopez, Michael Baddeley, Willian Tessaro Lunardi, Anshul Pandey and Jean-Pierre Giacalone
- 13:30 – 14:00 “Improving the Generalization Capability of DNNs for Ultra-low Power Autonomous Nano-UAVs”
Elia Cereda, Marco Ferri, Dario Mantegazza, Nicky Zimmerman, Luca M. Gambardella, Jérôme Guzzi, Alessandro Giusti and Daniele Palossi
- 14:00 – 14:30 “A Reverse Turing Like Test for Quad-copters”
Ahmad Traboulsi and Michel Barbeau
- 14:30 – 15:00 “Addressing Greenhouse’s Lack of Natural Pollinators – A UAV-Based Artificial Pollination System”
Nansong Wu, William Cowles and Alex Kudelin
15:00 – 15:15 Closing
ISIoT (Intelligent Systems for the Internet of Things)
09:00 – 11:00 Session 1 (Chair: Dr. Vasos Vasilliou)
- Investigating the Vision Transformer Model for Image Retrieval Tasks
Socratis Gkelios, Yiannis Boutalis and Savvas Chatzichristofis
- The Effect of Temperature and Humidity on Indoor LoRa Propagation Model
Zinon Zinonos, Spyros Lavdas, Lefteris Zacharioudakis and Ala Khalifeh
- A human-centered Web-based tool for the effective real-time motion data collection and annotation from BLE IoT devices
Dimitrios Aimilianos Markantonatos, Pantelis Tzamalis, Andreas Bardoutsos, Sotiris Nikoletseas and Paul G. Spirakis
- Multi-Trace: Multi-level Data Trace Generation with the Cooja Simulator
Niclas Finne, Joakim Eriksson, Thiemo Voigt, George Suciu, Mari-Anais Sachian, JeongGil Ko, Hossein Keipour. (contributed by ML-SWiN 2021, 1st International Workshop on Machine Learning for Smart Wireless Networks)
11:00 – 11:30 Coffee Break
11:30 – 13:00 Session 2 (Chair: Dr. Zinon Zinonos)
- Performance Evaluation of PoW Blockchain in Wireless Mobile IoT networks
Aniket Anand, Waqar Asif and Marios Lestas
- Threat Modelling of IoT Systems Using Distributed Ledger Technologies and IOTA
Constantinos Marios Angelopoulos, Vasilios Katos, Amalia Damianou and M. Amir Khan
- Decentralized Dedicated Intrusion Detection Security Agents for IoT Networks Christiana Ioannou, Andronikos Charalambous and Vasos Vassiliou
13:00 – Discussion
Friday, July 16 – Afternoon: 15:00 – 19:45
WCNEE (Wireless Communications and Networking in Extreme Environments)
16:05 – 16:30 Coffee Break
16:30 – 17:45 Session 1 (Chair: George Sklivanitis)
- Chirp Spread Spectrum Modulation for Intrabody Nanoscale Communication and Sensing
Honey Pandey, Josep M. Jornet (Northeastern University, USA)
- Machine Learning Based Sound Speed Prediction for Underwater Networking Applications
Ambrin Begam Riaz Ahmed, Mohamed Younis, Miguel Hernandez De Leon (University of Maryland, Baltimore County, USA)
- Localizing Autonomous Underwater Vehicles: Experimental Evaluation of a Long Baseline Method
Irene Tallini (University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy & Northeastern University, USA), Luca lezzi, Petrika Gjanci, Chiara Petrioli (University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy), Stefano Basagni (Northeastern University, USA)
17:45 – 19:00 Session 2 (Chair: Zhangyu Guan)
- Towards Ambiently Powered Inference on Wireless Sensor Networks: Asynchrony is the Key!
Vasileios Papageorgiou, Athanasios Nichoritis, Panagiotis Vasilakopoulos, Georgios Vougioukas, Aggelos Bletsas (Technical University of Crete, Greece)
- Network-Aware AutoML Framework for Software-defined Sensor Networks
Emre Horsanali, Yagmur Yigit, Gokhan Secinti (Istanbul Technical University, Turkey), Aytac Karameseoglu (BTS Group, Turkey), Berk Canberk (Istanbul Technical University,Turkey)
- Sequential Task Allocation with Connectivity Constraints in Wireless Robotic Networks
Hongzhi Guo, Albert Aninagyei Ofori (Norfolk State University, USA)
15:00 – 16:20 (Chair: Marios Angelopoulos)
- Fostering Energy Transition in Smart Cities: DLTs for Peer-to-Peer Electricity Trading
Mehdi Montakhabi, Shenja van der Graaf, Akash Madhusudan, Roozbeh Sarenche and Mustafa A. Mustafa
- ISUMS: Indoor Space Usage Monitoring System for Sustainable Built Environment Using LoRaWAN
Constantinos Marios Angelopoulos, Vasilios Katos, Dimitrios Mallis and Konstantinos Vogklis
- Data Driven Fleet Monitoring and Circular Economy
Fotis Oikonomou, Alzahraa Alhaddad, Konstantinos Tserpes, Ioannis Kontopoulos, Antonios Makris, Panagiota Arampatzi, Marc Bonazountas, Hernan Ruiz Ocampo, Giorgos Demetriou and Vlatka Katusic
16:30 – 17:50 (Chair: Eirini Eleni Tsiropoulou)
- Delay Estimation of Initial Access procedure for 5Gmm-Wave Cellular Networks
Soham Dhiren Desai and Filippo Malandra
- 5G Network Requirement Analysis and Slice Dimensioning for Sustainable Vehicular Services
Grigorios Kakkavas, Maria Diamanti, Adamantia Stamou, Vasileios Karyotis, Symeon Papavassiliou, Faouzi Bouali and Klaus Moessner
- Towards a Green Blockchain: A Review of Consensus Mechanisms and their Energy Consumption
Abigael Okikijesu Bada, Amalia Damianou, Constantinos Marios Angelopoulos and Vasilios Katos
18:00 – 19:45 (Chair: Tamoghna Ojha)
- Pervasive Computing for Safe Distancing and Production Optimization in Manufacturing: Challenges and Opportunities
Theofanis Raptis, Walter Terkaj, Andrea Passarella and Marco Conti
- Optimal Transmit Strategy for MIMO WPT Systems With Non-linear Energy Harvesting
Nikita Shanin, Laura Cottatellucci, Robert Schober
- OFDM Signaling for SWIPT Systems under High Power Amplifier Nonlinearities and Memory Effects
Souhir Lajnef, Konstantinos Ntougias, Ioannis Krikidis
- Anomaly detection of data and topology patterns in WSNs
Robert Zakrzewski, Trevor Martin and George Oikonomou
The tutorial will be held virtually throughout the three days of the main DCOSS 2021 event on the “Emerging Topics in Sensor Networks” Teams channel. The tutorial will be delivered by means of pre-recorded sessions that will be available on the “Emerging Topics in Sensor Networks” Teams channel.